Saturday, October 19, 2013

Telfair Sketch Crawl

It’s always possible to find something to do in Savannah.  The Jepson Museum hosted another Family Free day today and invited all participants to join the Sketch Crawl.  The newest exhibit is “Spirit of Spain”  featuring the works of Robert Henri.  Henri is a celebrated Spanish portrait painter whose exhibited works included renderings of Spanish dancers, matadors, gypsies, musicians, as well as a couple of landscapes and some sketches.  The purpose of the Sketch Crawl is to showcase that sketching is a way of developing visual literacy.  It helps in developing eye hand coordination and identification of patterns. 

Well, for me, the Sketch Crawl was all about noticing the details.  Certainly, no one could call me an artist.  I might be a half a bubble above stick figures and the last drawings I did probably had something to do with one of my children’s elementary school projects almost two decades ago.  However, I was game and wanted to give it a shot.  Instead of copying the portraits, I just honed in on a couple of details.  The time flew and I enjoyed the exhibit much more for having to look carefully.  Here are some excerpts from my little sketch book the museum provided.  No autographs, please!!

DSCN4860DSCN4861DSCN4858

No comments:

Post a Comment