Thursday, August 8, 2013

Today’s Savannah Tourist: Invasion of the Canadian Geese

DSCN3479
Let’s face it.  Savannah is a tourism town.  The summer months bring tens of thousands of visitor who experience what the area has to offer.  While I’m used to seeing tourists enjoying the downtown areas, I was a little surprised to find a different kind of visitor yesterday afternoon.. 
One of the many green spaces available in Savannah is Southside’s Lake Mayer.  Lake Mayer is a hub of over a mile of jogging track, a huge lake which is used for fishing and sailing lessons, multiple lit tennis courts which are home to both casual and tournament play, open air and screened buildings for gatherings, and tons of areas for pets and picnics.  The park is a popular spot for reunions, festivals, political gatherings, and much more.
Yesterday my business travels took me past Lake Mayer and, as I glanced over, I saw a virtual wall of alternative visitors --- Canadian geese.  There were so many, I turned the car around for a better look.  Wherever you looked, geese were there, getting along with the Lake’s locals.  Driving slowly through the geese was treacherous.  They moved, but certainly took their time about it.  This picture doesn’t do the scene justice.
DSCN3478  DSCN3482  DSCN3485

No comments:

Post a Comment