Thursday, August 15, 2013

Whole Foods Finally Opens

DSCN3629DSCN3631DSCN3632
I know that people all over the country are already well-acquainted with Whole Foods.  However, it has taken FOREVER for Savannah to draw the retail giant to the area. Whole Foods officially opened this week.  I gave it a whole 24 hours before I showed up.  Naturally, my thought process was that, at midday on a weekday, I shouldn’t have trouble getting in and checking it out.  Reasonable assumption, right?  Not so much.  After circling for about 10 minutes, I found a parking spot and then walked in to join the hundreds of other people walking the aisles.  I’ve never seen a grocery store packed in the middle of the day.  I stood in the middle of all the hubbub and wondered: What do all of these people do for a living?
Everywhere I turned, someone was offering samples.  I was able to try raspberry lime cheesecake from FORM as well as fried catfish on the other side of the store.  The bakery items looked like something from a TV show.  For items that were fresh selections (such as the olive station), there were so many choices.  As I scooted up and down the aisles to get my bearings, I noticed a lot of “local” products like spices from The Salt Table and Vidalia Onion Relish from Leoci’s.   And, I’ve never seen so many labels touting “gluten free” products.  My sister will be delighted!
And, of course, I had to buy something for dinner: chili and peach glazed BBQ ribs with grilled zucchini.  Very satisfying.  I have a feeling I’m going to have a long and happy relationship with Whole Foods. 

No comments:

Post a Comment